Friday, September 17, 2010

Chess Improvement Tips And Tricks - 2 Things You Can Do NOW!

Alright! Just got my first ever chess blog up and running.

Being a patzer (and a very terrible one at that) back in the days, I understand your dilemma. I understand how frustrating it is when you lose one game after another...and to make things worse, you don't even know what happened in the game.

You examined the game, everything seems to be going fine and dandy, and all of a sudden, you are a victim of a forced mate in 3. How on earth did you not see it coming? It seems that all of those hours spent on studying tactics, forced mates, openings, etc. are useless.

I've been there trust me. Such frustrations in the 64 squared battlefield almost made me quit. "What about trying my hands on Poker or Solitaire?" I thought to myself. BUT fast forward today, I'm still playing the game! Matter of fact, I'm enjoying every game of chess I'm playing - win or lose, thanks to 5 realizations that helped me come out on top.


Without further adieu, let's take a look at these 2 chess improvement tips and tricks that every chess player, who aspires to improve and move out of the patzer level, should know about.

Chess Improvement Tip 1 - Take Your Time
Chess is a thinking game. And for you to come out on top and win, you need to take your time and give yourself enough time to think of a move, plan, etc. What's the point of having lightning fast hands and a lot of time on the clock when you can't save yourself from the impending mate in 5?

I know what you are thinking.

"I've heard this before."

"Take my time in every move - this is going to make me a GrandMaster!" (with a sarcastic facial expression)

"You just wasted 5 minutes of my life! Next chess improvement blog please!"

BUT think about it - have you really applied this chess improvement tip? I don't think you have. If you are actively applying this tip - taking the most possible time in every move to make sure you don't miss an instant mate, hang a piece, etc., then kudos to you.

BUT since you are here, that means you still hang pieces, leave yourself open to mate in two, leave your pieces open to forks and skewers...things that could have been easily prevented if you have taken your time before playing a move.

Now, you maybe asking: what exactly should I be doing...should I be thinking about when it's my turn?

This is where chess improvement tip 2 comes into the scene...


Chess Improvement Tip 2 - Chess Is A Two Man Game
While there are varieties of chess where you can play by yourself (solitaire chess) or in pairs (just like in a recent fund raiser where former World Champ Garry Kasparov and former World Championship Contender Nigel Short participated), chess is generally a 1 on 1 game. Black against White. You against that guy or gal across the table.

So what exactly do I mean by this?

Here's my point - you cannot expect to win a game of chess by considering ONLY your moves and ideas. As Tartakower puts it - your opponent has the right to exist. He wants to beat you as much as you want to beat him. He, too, will device strategies, come up with ideas and moves, and do whatever he can to sweep you off of the board.

So what should we do?

Consider his ideas, the resources available to him, the tactics that could work in his favor. When it's your turn and your opponent just made his move, ask yourself:

"What is the idea behind his move? If given another move or two, what can he do against me?"

Can he grab one of my pieces for free? Am I open to a knight fork with check, which in the end nets my queen? If you would take the time, you will discover these nuances. Not all of the nuances perhaps. After all, GMs themselves miss some. BUT it would be enough to cover your butt from the usual knock out blows that leave patzers scratching their heads...thinking what on earth happened.

I know you are dying to see some examples. BUT man, it's already 3 AM here so I think I will leave that for tomorrow.

For those of you who can't wait, for those of you who are looking for step by step instruction on improving their chess game straight from a Grandmaster who once gained the recognition of the legendary Garry Kasparov, The GrandMaster's Secrets Course is a MUST have!

- Know what mistakes you could be making and how to avoid them.
- Know what to study and HOW to study.
- Know how to think the RIGHT way.
- Know how to prepare for tournaments

And those are just to name a few!

The GrandMaster's Secret Course is, without a doubt, responsible for helping me climb out of the utter-noob-and-patzer category. I'll let my games do the talking sometime. Anyway, if you need a solid chess improvement course that will bring you results, this is it!

Til next time, this is the WarriorOfD64Squares signing off!

No comments:

Post a Comment